Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Getting Started

   As the days fly by and my three young children grow like weeds before my eyes, I feel the need to start recording some of the moments that make our lives special. My days with the family are full and I'm always looking for ways to simplify our lives while keeping them creative and beautiful. I'm very involved in doing things from scratch and finding easy ways to do them since I'm such a busy mother. I thought this blog might be a way to share these ideas with others who also like to lead the "good life".



CALENDULA FLOWERS

  I grew beautiful calendula flowers this summer. They are so simple to grow and so prolific! From two seeds I had at least a hundred blooms and they're still producing flower heads. They are also very therapeutic with dozens of uses but most notably for healing the skin. I stepped on a bumblebee in the garden and got stung twice. I had heard about rubbing the flower on stings and burns so I quickly chopped a flower finely and rubbed it on the sting. It took the pain ( which had been quite severe) away immediately! They are easy to dry just by clipping them to a line with a clothespin. Then you can make salves and teas with the dried flowers. Just google calendula and you'll find a myriad of recipes. It's my favorite new flower.

No comments: